TheSpecial Education Coordinator oversees the implementation and compliance of special education and treatment services for all students in the school. This position will supervise Special Education Case Managers and provide case management for students to monitor and implement special education services. This position collaborates with education, clinical and behavior staff to inform overall treatment and ensure accessibility for each student. The Special Education Coordinator will also communicate with sending schools and community partners for program wide needs like state assessment and transition-age related activities.
- Initiate and maintain regular and ongoing communication with Laraway School case managers, clinicians, behavior staff, and education staff regarding student’s education and treatment progress or needs.
- Conduct initial and outgoing review of file for compliance with State and Federal regulations and laws regarding special education and mental health.
- Oversees report cards, transcripts, and related guidance records.
- Establish and maintain regular and ongoing communication systems for all case managers with parents as to student progress.
- Maintain regular communication with Education Program Director regarding legal, financial, exposure to liability, and other related matters.
- Support case managers to provide consultation with Laraway School education, clinical, and behavior staff with information about IEP goals, accommodations for students support as needed.
- Support case managers in collecting progress updates in education and special education aspects of the program. Support a consistent system of documentation and compliance.
- Provide support to students, case managers, teams and LEAs for students moving towards reintegration with their public schools.
- Ensure case managers remain informed and provide appropriate updates to staff regarding student history, present situation, and general prognosis.
- Actively participate in Laraway School and agency meetings, trainings, events, etc.
- Complete all related program specific, agency related and regulatory paperwork in an accurate and timely manner.
- Ability to build and maintain professional relationships and appropriate boundaries with staff, clients, and community.
Special Education Case Management
- Facilitate and coordinate with Legal Education Agency to assure special education requirements are upheld. Participate in I.E.P. development, evaluations and related special education and/or treatment meetings.
- Facilitate home school coordination for students on caseload.
- Work closely with clinical and behavioral staff in developing I.E.P. goals, treatment goals and behavioral plans. Model, train, and support classroom staff in the implementation of Individualized Educational Plans. Meet regularly with classroom staff to assure students are up to date with their educational goals.
- Organize and collect student specific data on a regular basis.
- Design and implement individualized learning plans based on student needs, interests, and assessments; including, but not limited to managing job sites, individualized coursework, work-based learning, and service-learning projects.
- Provide support for or perform standardized assessments and other evaluations pertinent to student’s needs.
Leadership and Supervision:
- This role includes being a member of the School Management Team, requirement participation in School leadership and strategy meetings and provide leadership support and guidance to program staff.
- Provide regular and ongoing supervision and support to assigned staff, more specifically those performing Special Education Case Management duties within Laraway School.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Special Education Licensure is preferred or pursuing and nearing completion. Special Education license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
- The ability to provide supervision to others seeking Special Education Licensure.
- Successful clearance of Criminal Background Check, Valid driver’s license, excellent driving record, and daily access to a safe, reliable, insured vehicle.
- The following certifications are preferred but if not current, must be successfully completed upon hire.
- Ability to complete Handle with Care, Part 1 and Part 2, certifications and maintain.
- First Aid & CPR certification